Prepare for travel
There are many things you can do to prepare for a healthy holiday, including:
- Have a medical check-up. Make sure you are healthy before you travel.
- Organize travel insurance, including cover if you need to be evacuated to a suitable hospital.
- Have a dental check-up.
- Have a vision check and pack a spare pair of glasses.
Tips for older travelers
For older people, the risk of death or serious illness while travelling is the same, or even less, than staying at home.
However, planning is important, and before travelling, older travelers should consider:
- See your doctor for a check-up and discuss your fitness for the trip you are planning.
- See your dentist and optometrist.
- Pack a spare pair of glasses, any medications you need and a small medical kit.
- Organize travel health insurance with pre-existing illness cover if needed. Make sure it covers emergency evacuation.
- Consider your back and joints – use luggage with built-in wheels.
- Take clothes and hats to suit the climate.
- If you are concerned about your health or the health of someone you are travelling with, consider taking an organised holiday.
Things to remember
- The most common travel-related sickness is gastrointestinal infection, which is generally picked up from poorly prepared food and untreated water.
- Have a medical check-up to make sure you are healthy before you travel and discuss vaccinations with your doctor.
- Be prepared and aware of health issues when travelling.